The feel, felt, found is a timeless closing technique and works like a charm. I am not sure who or where the feel, felt, found closing technique came from but it has been around forever in sales. The technique can be used for many different scenarios. It is normally used to overcome the current objection that a client gives you. Once you hear the objection is when you can rattle off this closing technique.
Feel, felt, found is a psychological technique that is meant to understanding where the client is coming from. Now, everyone wants to be heard and no one wants their opinion or concerns to not be taken into account for. Unfortunately, salespeople have been known to either not care to listen to their clients or tend to get ahead of themselves. This happens when a salesperson is trying to think of the next move or thing to say. Just know that when you don’t listen to your customers that you look like this in their eyes…
That is why this closing technique is so awesome. As a salesperson, you are fully understanding the client’s concern(s), putting them at ease, and overcoming the objection or providing a solution to their issue(s).
The Breakdown of Feel, Felt, Found
This close has three parts and I’m sure you can assume what they are based off the name.All three of these are essential. Also, the verbiage and order of the phrases matter. If you need any help with closing check out my 17 tips to help you close more sales here. Here are the three parts of the close and why they are necessary:
- I understand how you feel about (state objection). This is showing that you are listening to your client. This also shows that you are walking a mile in their shoes by understanding where their concerns are coming from.
- Many of my clients have felt the same way. This is a form of social proof by putting them in the majority. No one wants to feel alone or that they are being a pain. This is stating that they are totally entitled to feel that way and then you put their concerns at ease by overcoming the objection. Also, this implies that most of your client’s concerns get put at ease by what you are about to say next.
- What we have found is (overcome objection). Now it is time to overcome the objection and put the client at ease. The key here, as with any attempt to overcome objections, is to make sure that you are attacking the actual objection and not the smokescreen. If it is a fake objection the great job you do overcoming it will be for nothing. Finally, ask your client to buy after overcoming the objection! Don’t wait for them to tell you “I’ll take it.” That is about as likely as this…
Examples of the Feel, Felt, Found Close
- Price objection. I understand how you feel about the price. Many of my clients have felt the same way. What we found is that with our 30 day price match guarantee you will have the peace of mind from now and 30 days from now that you are getting the best price. If you find it anywhere for less or even at my own store, I will price match it, under the same terms and conditions (important because you can’t compare apples to oranges), and you will get that money back. So, do you want to go ahead with the purchase?
- Spouse objection. I understand how you feel about needing your spouse’s approval. Many of my clients have felt the same way. What we found is with our pending sale we can have you go ahead and lock this sale price in so you don’t miss out on those savings by purchasing this now. Then, when your spouse is free/back/home/here you can have them check it out and if they are not a fan you can bring it back and return it no problem. Want to go ahead and do that?
- Time objection. I understand how you feel about wanting to come back to purchase this. Many of my clients felt the same way. That was until they found out that we can have you out of here with the paperwork in under 15 minutes. Since you are sold on this anyway, want to go ahead and just knock it out now and save you the hassle of having to come back?
These are just a few of the different scenarios where the feel, felt, found closing technique can be used. You don’t have to limit yourself to these few examples. Make sure that you keep it within the guidelines of what your company and you can do. Never lie to get a sale. Integrity is everything in sales so keep your game clean.
Also, this is a one and done type of close. If your client responds with another objection right after you use this closing technique, I highly recommend using a different one. This one is easy to sound repetitive.
It is important to have an arsenal of closing techniques. If you need different closes check out any of my various closing techniques here, here, or here. These techniques will help you deep in the close when you are doing everything in your power to get the deal. I know how it feels being unprepared and feeling helpless in sales. Preparation will make all the difference in sales and will increase the money you put in your pocket. After you start closing all of these sales you are going to start to look like.
Subscribe to my blog so you get all my exclusive content! You won’t want to miss out on anything! ?
Go now and close those sales!